Cocoa Mulch Warning for Pets

Cocoa Mulch Warning for Pets


Cocoa Mulch, which is sold by Home Depot, Foreman’s Garden Supply and other Garden supply stores, contains a lethal ingredient called “Theobromine”. It is lethal to dogs and cats.

It smells like chocolate and it really attracts dogs. They will ingest this stuff and die. Several deaths have already occurred from people using this product. Just a word of caution — check what you are using in your gardens! Theobromine is the ingredient that is used to make all chocolate — especially dark or baker’s chocolate — which is toxic to dogs.

Cocoa bean shells contain potentially toxic quantities of theobromine, a xanthine compound similar in effects to caffeine and theophylline. A dog that ingested a lethal quantity of garden mulch made from cocoa bean shells developed severe convulsions and died 17 hours later.

Analysis of the stomach contents and the ingested cocoa bean shells revealed the presence of lethal amounts of theobromine.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s