Licorice Mint Iced Tea to Suppress Appetite
Peppermint ranks high among America’s favorite types of mint tea, but you can substitute equal amounts of any variety for this recipe. Try interesting flavors such as chocolate mint, orange mint, pineapple mint, or spearmint-or combine several types for a more complex, rich brew.
Prep: 5 minutes
Total: 30 minutes, plus cooling
- 2 1/2 teaspoons dried licorice root
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1/2 cup dried peppermint leaves
- 1/2 cup raw honey
- 4 sprigs of fresh mint (optional)
- In a large pot bring 6 cups of water to a boil over high heat. Stir in the licorice and cinnamon; lower to a simmer, partially cover the pot, and simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from heat, stir in peppermint, cover, and steep for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place a large strainer lined with cheesecloth or a damp paper towel over another pot or heatproof bowl. Strain tea, pressing on herbs to extract all liquid. Stir in honey until dissolved and let cool completely, about 1 hour. Fill four tall glasses with ice. Pour tea over ice and garnish each glass with a mint sprig, if desired. Serve immediately.